Thursday, November 27, 2008

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!

The older members of my readers will immediately recognise this as being from the Turkey episode in the sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati which aired on October 30, 1978. The plot of this episode was station owner Arthur Carlson, decides to stage his own promotion for Thanksgiving: dropping twenty-five live turkeys from a helicopter to unsuspecting shoppers below. His ace news director/reporter, Les Nessman, was at the mall where the turkey's were dropped doing the live broadcast and described it as: Oh my God, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Not since the Hindenburg tragedy has there been anything like this!". At the end of the show Carlson explains, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

2 comments:

Brian Shields said...

The clip is available on YouTube. Watched it the other day.

Larry Diesbach Jr said...

That was one funny ass bit! WKRP was awsome i could sit and watch that shit over and over, I like the turkey in the windshield gimmick. thats because i install auto glass, and windshield glass.

Larry Diesbach
http://www.FixMyWindshield.com