Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Flag - 1861

From; War Of The Rebellion, a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies Series


HEADQUARTERS PROVISIONAL ARMY, C.S.,
CHARLESTON, S.C. MAY 1, 1861

SIR; I have the honor to send you by the bearer, Capt. S. W. Ferguson, South Carolina Regulars, my regular aide, and Lieut. Col. A. R. Chisolm (aide to Governor Pickens), one of my volunteer aides, the flag which waved on Fort Moultrie during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, and was thrice cut by the enemy's balls. Being the first Confederate flag thus baptized, I have thought it worth sending to the War Department for preservation. I should have brought it on myself, but my present disposition will prevent me from leaving here for a day or two.

I remain, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

G. T. BEAUREGARD
Brigadier-General, Commanding

TO: Hon. L. P. Walker
Secretary of War

No comments: