Monday, April 11, 2011

Today is International Louie Louie Day

Today is International Louie Louie Day.
Louie Louie, me gotta go
Louie Louie, me gotta go

Fine little girl she waits for me
Me catch the ship for cross the sea
I sail the ship all alone
I never think I'll make it home

(chorus)

Three nights and days me sail the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair

(chorus)

Me see Jamaica moon above
It won't be long, me see my love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again


Why April 11? Because it's the birthday of Richard Berry, the man who composed Louie Louie and in April 1957 the first recorded version of Louie Louie, by Richard Berry and the Pharaohs.

Louie Louie is a calypso sea chantey about a lover’s lament as told to a bartender named Louie Louie. He uses Afro-Cuban rhythms from RenĂ© Touzet’s “El Loco Cha Cha”,” and story lines from Chuck Berry’s “Havana Moon” and Johnny Mercer’s “One For My Baby (And One More For The Road).”

No comments: