Sunday, June 26, 2011

Local Bankruptcy

The Wilmington News Journal usually post bankruptcies and I see where Kedesha R. Briddell, Bi State Boulevard, Delmar, filed a Chapter 7 petition with U.S. Bankruptcy Court to provide for a court-appointed trustee to liquidate all assets except those protected by law. She claims assets of $833, and liabilities $18,299.

Now the few times I have posted bankruptcy data I have received a lot of opinions that I should not do so. However I view claiming bankruptcy the same as stealing. People trusted you and gave you an opportunity to show you were financially responsible - they did you a favor - you screwed them. The government has allowed people once again not to have to accept financial responsibility for their actions and in turn place this burden on everyone by higher interest rates, higher prices and by small businesses going out of business. Frankly people who claim bankruptcy should do time.

This Ad was put in the Fourth of July 1930 State register telling people to pay their bills and be a respectable citizen.

click to enlarge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I don't know Ms. Briddell's story, many people have no choice but to file for bankruptcy when they are left with bills they cannot pay due to circumstances beyond their control. Off the top of my head I can think of medical conditions, death of a spouse, divorce, loss of a job, fraud...I'm sure there are many other situations where someone might be forced to file for bankruptcy. Creditors and collectors can be ruthless and they don't really care what your situation is. Not everyone who files for bankruptcy has charged up their credit shopping and decided they didn't feel like paying. To suggest that these poor people should be sent to jail is just ludicrous. I sure hope that Ms. Briddell is not suffering through some sort of tragedy or insurmountable hardship while you are publicly dragging her through the mud.