Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Fifty Year High School Class Reunion

Wow I went to my fifty year high school class reunion last night. The Wi Hi class of 1961 had about 354 that graduated. Last night about 150 (plus spouses) showed up at the Moose Lodge In Salisbury for the 50 year reunion. Out of the class of 1961, 63 are dead and of the remaining number 30% live off Delmarva, mainly in the southern states so most are still in the area, some even live in Delmar and Woodcreek.



The last reunion I went to was the 20 year reunion. No doubt I was still carrying too much baggage from High school to appreciate it and it has taken another 30 years before I decided to return to one.



Let me say the fifty year reunion is a lot better. Still some of the old cliques’ of our high-school days exist but the main clique was those who still get together every so often.

Not all of them were overweight and hard of hearing, such as myself, actually they are a fairly healthy looking group. I think there was only a handful I recognized. The main topic of talk was not about the last hospital operation they had or the judging blocks of financial success but about their grandkids.

In the end I had a decent time at my reunion. I thought everyone looked great; obviously more gray than the last time and everyone has now become a solid citizens.

I was impressed by the hard work and due diligence of the Class reunion Committee; Wayne Brumbley, Sandra Crouch, James DeVage, Pete Evans, Betty Evans, Sam Graham, Margaret King, Ernest Matthews, Thurman Moore, Phyllis Moore, Janet Nock, Sam Smullen. Great Job.

As I wrap up this post up I am reminded of that old internet joke that is passed around in emails;


I WAS SITTING IN THE WAITING ROOM FOR MY FIRST APPOINTMENT WITH A NEW DENTIST.

I NOTICED HIS DDS DIPLOMA ON THE WALL, WHICH BORE HIS FULL NAME. SUDDENLY, I REMEMBERED A TALL, HANDSOME, DARK-HAIRED BOY WITH THE SAME NAME HAD BEEN IN MY HIGH SCHOOL CLASS SOME 40-ODD YEARS AGO. COULD HE BE THE SAME GUY THAT I HAD A SECRET CRUSH ON, WAY BACK THEN? UPON SEEING HIM, HOWEVER, I QUICKLY DISCARDED ANY SUCH THOUGHT. THIS BALDING, GRAY-HAIRED MAN WITH THE DEEPLY LINED FACE WAS WAY TOO OLD TO HAVE BEEN MY CLASSMATE. AFTER HE EXAMINED MY TEETH, I ASKED HIM IF HE HAD ATTENDED MORGAN PARK HIGH SCHOOL .

"YES. YES, I DID. I'M A MUSTANG," HE GLEAMED WITH PRIDE.

"WHEN DID YOU GRADUATE?" I ASKED.

HE ANSWERED, "IN 1975. WHY DO YOU ASK?"

"YOU WERE IN MY CLASS!", I EXCLAIMED.

HE LOOKED AT ME CLOSELY.

THEN, THAT UGLY, OLD, BALD, WRINKLED FACED, FAT-ASSED, GRAY-HAIRED, DECREPIT, S.O.B. ASKED,

"WHAT DID YOU TEACH"???

No comments: