Friday, November 18, 2011

The Oil Change At Gateway Subaru


I have been a few hundred miles over on an oil change so today when I went past the Gateway Subaru dealership I saw they were advertising their oil change special. I swung in and had it done.

Now it wasn't an instant 15 minute oil change but frankly I haven't had one of them in a while. Jiffy lube, the Grease Monkey, and Valvoline Instant Oil Change is rarely 15 minutes anymore - frankly my confidence in the service varies each time I go back to one of those places - they have such a turnover in people. This oil change was an hour which gave me time to kill. On the plus side they have a nice clean customer waiting area complete with big, comfortable chairs and reading material. Matter of fact the whole place is very clean, both the inside and out. I guess that is the advantage of being in a car dealership. After previous oil changes and sitting in the waiting room at Jiffy Lube and the Grease Monkey it was a refreshing change.

Larry Tebo, the Service Advisor was very professional and unlike the instant oil change places did not try to sell me filters or windshield wiper blades.

I hate to say it but most buying decisions when it comes to service items are based on emotion. Did you like the way you were treated? Yes. Was the service, based on your outlook, done professionally and to some standard? Yes Overall I was very pleased with the service here and I'll come back next time I need my oil changed or a minor repair.

Since I had an hour to kill I found that Gateway Subaru really houses two separate businesses; one of course is the car dealership and service department, but part of the building is also for Chesapeake Cycles which sells Vespa's scooters. Now maybe due to my age,
Vespa
is a very recognizable name to me. Back in the 1960's and 1970's they were about the only scooter being sold. Vespa had a delightful collection of ads featuring fresh-faced, sexy, Italian girls.



Steve Wergin, sales manager for Chesapeake Cycles, came out and talked to me about Vespas. If you are looking at scooters you should stop by and talk to him.



They certainly are nice looking scooters and if my youngest ever gets out of college I may even consider one.


The Vespas he has on the showroom floor run between $3,000 to $6,000 so they are not cheap compared to the Chinese made scooters on the market. These do seem to be quality made however.




No comments: