Sunday, December 04, 2011

Flowers On Graves


My mother and I made the Christmas "tour" of cemeteries this morning, placing our Chinese made plastic flowers on the graves of my brother, father, grandparents and great grandparents. This "tour" was from Monie to Salisbury. We still have another 'tour" for those North of Salisbury.

I do not worship the dead, I simply recognize what my loved ones brought into my life. It is taking a moment to brush the leaves off, pull a couple of weeds, and place a few artificial flowers on a grave. Looking at the dates on the monuments make you realize how much time has passed since their death. Take a moment to reminisce about the memories your loved ones have left you, than realize that memories will be all that you will leave behind. Once the last person who remembers you dies, you will just be another unkempt monument in a cemtery.

No comments: