Friday, January 06, 2012

Joan Of Arc


St. Joan of Arc with St. Michael the Archangel

As I have written before, Joan of Arc was born today in 1412 (This is the 600 year anniversary of her death). She had a short life being burnt to death at age 19 (Lets hear it for the Catholic Church) but she did lead an Army at age 17. A previous writeup was posted here It is an amazing story of a girl who, according to her family and friends, knew little more than spinning and watching over her father’s flocks, but when you hear the voices inside your head and actually follow their instructions you can achieve a great deal.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy today made a pilgrimage to Joan of Arc's birthplace in eastern France for the 600th anniversary of her birth and delivered a lofty speech that he hopes will improve his image in many French minds (Joan of Arc seems to have always been used by French Leaders). Pope Benedict XVI last year hailed her as a model for public officials (Burn her and use her).

In grandiloquent praise, Sarkozy depicted Joan not just as a defender of France, but as an international ideal of the fight for freedom and a purveyor of women's rights — centuries before the feminist movement.

"The place of Joan of Arc was not in gilded legend, but in the history of France ... Joan is the incarnation of the most beautiful French virtues," said Sarkozy.



Quotes from the official transcript of the trial.

Q - Do you know if you are in the grace of God?

A - If I am not, may God place me there; if I am, may God so keep me. I should be the saddest of all the world if I knew that I were not in the grace of God. But if I were in a state of sin, do you think the Voice would come to me? If would that everyone could hear the Voice as I hear it. I think I was about thirteen when it came to me for the first time.

No comments: