Thursday, June 07, 2012

Family Tree Research On Ancestry.com

I have a love/hate relationship with Ancestry.com.  The Company has a number of negatives but they also have data I don't think I could find anywhere else so I pay the fee and have to be happy with what I get.  One of the items I don't think I would have found in my research locally is ship crew and ship passenger records.  In the past three months I have found on Ancestry.com a crew list containing the name of one of the Hastings family when he was a second mate on an oil tanker in the 1920's, the passenger list showing my ex-sister-in-law's father and mother arriving from Italy in 1947, and the passenger list showing  my Uncle Bill McCauley arriving in America in 1920 from Ireland when he was nine with the other members of his family.  Now the family has always known that Arthur Hastings was a sailor, Tony and Emma Lucca came from Italy and Uncle Bill came from Ireland but seeing the passenger and crew list with the ships name, other passengers, and various other official data that is on a ship's list brings it to life.

1 comment:

gstoney said...

HI,
You can go directly to http://www.ellisisland.org/
and search the records. I did this and found my husband's grandmother and grandfather when they immigrated to the US from Ireland in the 1920's. I don't belong to Ancestry.com. Check and see if your local library has access to information for free. My library in Montgomery County provides some free links. Good luck, it can be rather addicting. Check out the National Archives as well for some great information too.