Fire Prevention Week kicks off on October 7th. This year the theme is making sure residents "Have Two Ways Out."
In conjunction with the National Fire Protection Association, this year's theme focuses on the importance of fire escape planning and practice.
The following tips for planning your family's escape.
* Make a map of your home. Mark a door and a window that can be used to get out of every room.
* Choose a meeting place outside your home, preferably in front.
* Write the emergency telephone number for the fire department on your escape plan.
* Have an adult sound the smoke alarm and practice your escape plan with everyone living in your home.
* Keep your escape plan on the refrigerator.
To learn more, visit www.firepreventionweek.org
Having two ways out is always logical and this fire prevention theme applies to your home but I have never understood by Delmar Planning and Zoning always insist that developments only have one way in or out. It would seem to me if a catastrophe happened and it blocked that one way out great harm could come to the residents. Well Bunky Luffman can probably explain it.