Friday, December 07, 2012

The western Shore Visit

I have been away for the past couple of days visiting my daughter over on the western Shore.  I did however squeeze in a couple of Historical research items on the trip. 

First I was able to stop by the Maryland Hall of Records State Archives in Annapolis.  http://msa.maryland.gov/

It has been a number of years since I have last been there.  The helpfulness of the State employees that work there vary greatly (much like the ones who work at The Delaware archives) so if you hit them on a good day you can have a productive day.  I did hit them on a good day and they were helpful but I did not succeed in finding anything.  Some days are like that. 

Since it had been a number of years since my last visit I went to their website to see what the requirements were currently to visit.  http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/refserv/forms/html/registra.html You have to register and interestingly they now have a guard at the entrance to the place.  They say it is due to 911.  I am sure a terrorist is going to hit the State archives and bring Maryland to it's knees by holding the guests hostage.  Since the researchers that go there are genealogist and history researchers what ever terrorist that entered the building would be surrounded by genealogist asking for the name of his grandfather and Grandmother and the history buffs would be asking him if he was related to the Baltimore Arabs who use to sell produce out of push carts in 1950's. 

I was looking for Somerset County court records from the 1840's and since they are handwritten it takes about an hour to train yourself to read the clerks handwriting. 
a typical page, scattered thru out the court proceedings are maps of land plots such as the one below;

The next day I was able to squeeze in a cemetery visit.  This one was in DC - the US Soldiers' and Airmen's Home National Cemetery.  It is a small cemetery in comparison to others and seem to be close to being filled up.
I was looking for the grave of Hugh N. Moore who died in 1900.  Another of my research projects.  The tombstones are numbered and since I knew he was in section K grave 6825 it didn't take to long to find him. 
No additional data could be found on the tombstone and since there was a funeral in process the office was closed so I could not inquiry there.   A military cemetery always involves feeling in you due to the number of uniform tombstones.  Not to mention the playing of taps for the funeral that was in process.

So there you have it, several hours spent to find very little research data but that is the way most of the history research goes,  it takes you hours to find one bit of information.

1 comment:

Randie Hovatter said...

You didn't want to come by College Park? Lame!