Saturday, June 22, 2013

Cactus Flower

 
The Eastern Prickly Pear Cactus I have in pots around the yard are in bloom.  As everyone knows they will grow anywhere.  In one of my few lucid gardening moments I decided to put them in pots instead of being planted in the ground.  Unlike other plants in my yard, this one has been confined to where I planted it.  They are an excellent plant for a pot as they require almost no care or watering and they survive the winters in this area. 
 
In my early days of cemetery exploring I found you should not wear sandals when walking around a cemetery because these little plants love the sandy soil most cemeteries have.  In fact I acquired my Prickly Pears from local cemeteries (always travel with a trowel).
 
The Eastern Prickly Pear or Indian Fig are considered Nopales cactus - cactus with beaver tail like paddles.  Supposedly they are edible and are considered both a vegetable and a fruit.  Both the green pads and the unopened flower buds can be cooked as a vegetable and once the flower blooms and leaves the cactus berry, the berry itself  can be cleaned and cut open and eaten. I have never tried it as I think it requires a certain art to remove the needles on them.  As a man who always fear eating a fish bone I can't imagine getting a cactus needle jamed in your throat.
 
 




 


1 comment:

swampcritter2 said...

Food Lion sells jarred Nopales in their Hispanic Foods section. I have never tried them so I can't tell you if they are good or not Howard. Since our soon-to-be new masters will no doubt force their cuisine on us as soon as they invade, it might be a good idea to develop a taste for it.