Friday, October 31, 2014

Foreign Crab Cakes - Just Say No


One Of my many gripes 

Almost any seafood package I pick up in a supermarket  I check to see where the seafood originated.  Most shrimp, fish, prepared seafood in supermarkets come from Asia or Mexico.  Usually I don't eat seafood from those areas.  The seafood is bad enough when it is prepared in this country God knows what they feed the farm raised seafood and what the processing plants are like outside the United States. 

This however is another issue I have, these crab cakes are made by Handy Seafood headquartered in Salisbury.  Since it is Handy you would think it is from local crab but no, like Phillips restaurant, these crab cakes are prepared in Indonesia.

http://www.handycrab.com/
From their website; Handy International is a family-owned company with over 100 years of quality seafood processing. Products include soft crabs, crab meat, crab cakes, crab specialty items, oysters and artisanal fish.

Now my mind is certainly failing me but as I recall Handy Seafood was owned at one time (1988) by Taiyo oil Company - a Japanese Oil company.  Then Terry Conway who use to work at Perdue farms and later Mash's ham in Baltimore entered the pictureSo I guess this is one of those things where if the words taken individually they are true but as a whole it is false.  Yes, it is family owned but not for a hundred years by the same family.   It is like that political TV commercial Senator Tom Carper gives for Sean Barney (running for Delaware treasurer) in which he says after 9/11 Sean joined the marines.   True Sean may have joined the Marines after 911 but I doubt 911 was the reason for him joining the marines.   Finally what in the hell are artisanal fish?

Long story short I didn't buy the crab cakes.

No comments: