Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Being Politically Correct in the Aftermath of the Sinking of the Titanic

This is to certify that I, Harold Godfrey Lowe.. fifth officer of the late steamship Titanic, in my testimony at the Senate of the United States stated that I fired shots to prevent Italian immigrants from jumping into my lifeboat.  I do hereby cancel the word "Italian" and substitute the words "immigrants belonging to Latin races."  In fact, I did not mean to infer that they were especially Italians, because I could only judge from their general appearance and complexion, and therefore I only meant to imply that they were of the types of the Latin races.  In any case I did not intend to cast any reflection on the Italian nation. 

From "The Titanic Disaster Hearings"
 Edited by Tom Kuntz

No comments: